"The heart has its reasons in which reason knows nothing" -Blaise Pascal

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Girl's Camp

Before I get started on my girl's camp commentary, let me just tell you all: I CUT MY HAIR. And it is SHORT. But, I love it so much. It really is fun and so easy to do and its great! No pictures, so you will all just have to see it!
Anyways, back to Girl's Camp. I have never been excited for it before this year. I hate to camp. I hate the idea of being dirty and sleeping on the ground and having to change in a tent. And the dirt that gets under your fingernails? ya, that's gross. BUT this year is different. This year (maybe it's just because I'm a SENIOR- and sooo mature) but I have decided I will have a good attitude-It is my responsibility as a YCL to make sure that this is the best year possible for my 3rd years that I am in charge of. It is my job to make sure that not only do they become closer to their peers but to their Savior and closer to understanding that they are daughters of their Heavenly Father who loves them. It has just hit me so strongly what weight I have on my shoulders as Laurel president, as a YCL and just as an older girl. Although I'd like to think that as teenagers, we all listen to our parents, we really don't as much as we should. I know that, growing up, I depended on the advice and examples of those girls that were in the position I'm in now. So...as I prepare this final day for girl's camp...it is with excitement for the first time maybe ever. Because now I realize that the tents and port-o-johns and dutch oven meals aren't the point of camp. Because of those things we can focus on the most important parts of life instead of on our worldly possessions and on Satan's temptations. I am grateful for the opportunity to simplify my life and teach the gospel by example. YAY!

4 comments:

Hazel said...

I am so proud of you Alli. I am grateful that Cheyenne as girls like you to look up to and who will take the time to teach her and befriend her.

Thank you

Denise said...

I am so proud of you!! I hope this year at camp is the best ever....and I know it will be because you have prepared and you are ready. You are such a good leader and I'm proud to be your MOM!!

Kirsten Krason said...

I want to see your hair! I bet you missed my cooking at Girls Camp!

Sheri said...

I would've NEVER known you hated to camp. You were the BEST YCL ever - such a great example and awesome to hang with. We love you!

P.S. I am now clean...are you?